Makes 6 medium enchiladas.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 c finely diced (1/4″) sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded, minced (or 1/4 tsp cayenne)
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder (mild)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c cooked black beans, rinsed, drained well
- 2 c enchilada sauce, store bought or homemade
- 6 (8-10″) flour tortillas
- 2 c shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add sweet potatoes; Cook, stirring frequently for 7 minutes or until tender and browned a bit.
- Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt; saute one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the beans.
- Place half the enchilada sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Scoop one-sixth of the bean mixture on one of the tortillas. Roll up and place in the sauced baking dish. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.
- Spread remaining enchilada sauce on top. Scatter the cheese evenly over all.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes. Serve hot, with sour cream if desired.