You will never miss the beef in this Stroganoff recipe. Be sure to get flavorful mushrooms, such as crimini mushrooms, to ramp up the flavor in this quick stove-top meal.
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c TVP chunks (Textured Vegetable or Soy Protein)
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce or Bragg’s Amino Acids
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 3 c egg noodles
- 3 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz Crimini mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 c chicken style vegetarian broth
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and add the TVP. Bring back to boiling, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until softened. Drain and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and garlic. Coat well and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the margarine and add the onions and mushrooms. Saute about 5 minutes, or until golden and tender. Stir in the seasoned TVP.
- In a small bowl, blend the flour, salt and pepper. Stir this mixture into the skillet mixture and blend well for a minute. Stir in the broth and continue stirring well until it simmers for a minute and thickens. Serve on a bed of egg noodles and sprinkle with green onions. Serve hot with a crisp green salad.