This seitan slices well and, when diced, can be added to dishes such as Irish Hand Pies. It also holds up well in corned beef and cabbage dishes or stews.
Makes a 6 inch corned beef roll.
- 1 c gluten flour or vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, soft
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika (divided use)
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c plus 2 Tbsp water
- In a medium bowl, mix together the gluten flour, vegan butter, brown sugar, tomato paste, one teaspoon of the paprika, mustard, coriander, allspice, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Add water a bit at a time until a stiff dough forms. Knead a minute or two.
- Form into a thick 6-inch long roll. Wrap tightly in foil and twist the ends of the foil to seal well.
- Place directly on rack in a cold oven. Turn heat to 350 degrees F and cook 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before slicing lengthwise. Rub slices with the remaining paprika (optional). Slices may be diced for various recipes.