This is a tried and true meatless recipe that has been circulating among homemakers for many years. (Sometimes it’s called “Cottage Cheese Loaf”.) A budget wise entree, Special K Roast is delicious just as it is, but it also goes very well with ketchup or barbecue sauce. To mince the walnuts, place them in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin or use a food processor or spice mill.
- 4 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1/3 c finely minced walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp McKay’s Chicken Style Broth and Seasoning mix, dry (or any similar vegetarian seasoning mix)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 c small curd cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 c Special K Cereal
- 3 Tbsp minced parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and generously butter an 8? X 8? baking pan.
- Melt the margarine and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the minced onion, walnuts, broth mix, beaten eggs and cottage cheese. Blend very well.
- Stir in the cereal and again mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 45 minutes or until the loaf has set and browned.
- Cool 15 minutes, cut into squares, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with potatoes or yams.