I used some of my recent recipe for Soy Taco Filling to make this delicious Mexican entree. It could also be made with Harvest Direct Soy Taco Mix or similar store bought products. Delicioso!
- 5 medium (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 c soy taco filling
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c shallots or onions, chopped
- 1/2 c frozen or canned corn
- 1 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c cold water
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 jalapeno pepper, lightly roasted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and oil a 9.5 inch pie dish.
- Place corn tortillas in the bottom of prepared pie dish and running up the sides, overlapping as needed.
- Place taco filling on top in an even layer. Scatter the bell peppers, shallots, and corn over the filling.
- Scatter the shredded cheese over the vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan, stir cornmeal, salt, and cold water together; bring to boil over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. (Be careful as hot cornmeal mixture may spatter.) Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Drop cornmeal topping by rounded teaspoonfuls over the pie. Spread over entire top with back of spoon. Garnish with jalapeno slices in an even pattern.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until cornmeal topping is set and tamale filling is bubbly around edges; serve hot.