TVP is textured vegetable protein, and it comes in various textures from granules to crumbles to chunks. Sometimes it is called soya mince or soya chunks. It also comes unflavored, chicken flavored, taco flavored, sausage flavored, mutton flavored and beef flavored. In this recipe, we use the sausage flavored crumbles. For more information on TVP or to order, check out Emergency Supply.
- 1/2 c sausage flavored TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 c frozen lima beans
- 1 1/2 c cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 Tbsp potato flour
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 large double pie crust (for a 9-10 inch pie) chilled
- Soak the TVP in the boiling water for about 10 minutes.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, lima beans, cold water, salt and pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer the veggies for about 7 minutes.
- Add sausage (with its liquid), onion powder, and sage; stir well.
- Reserving the cooking liquid and leaving it in the pot, lift the vegetables out with a slotted spoon, and place in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl dissolve the potato flour in the milk until smooth.
- Over medium low heat, add the flour/milk mixture to the pot of vegetable cooking liquid, briskly whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Add back the vegetables and stir in the nutmeg and sour cream; blend well.
- Cool this filling for 20 minutes and pour into chilled bottom pie shell.
- Cover with the chilled top crust and crimp the edges.
- Put slits in the top, and place on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden.