Modeled after fish burritos, this vegetarian “fish” burrito features strips of roasted eggplant. It has the crunch of the slaw topping and the creamy lime dressing. To make a larger amount of this creamy dressing, see our recipe for Pico de Gallo Salad Dressing.
Makes 6 burritos.
Pico de Gallo Dressing:
- 1/4 c mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp Pico de Gallo seasoning
- 2 c cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1-15 oz can black beans
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cabbage and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss. Set aside.
- Heat the black beans in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring frequently.
- When hot, drain well and set aside.
- Leaving the peel on, remove the stem and bottom of the eggplant. Cut in half lengthwise, and then cut each half into about 10-12 “sticks”.
- Cut the red pepper in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and membranes, and cut each half into 10-12 “sticks”
- In a large skillet on high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and place half of the eggplant and red pepper sticks in a single layer.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes, turning once or twice, until charred in places and tender.
- Repeat with the remaining olive oil and vegetables.
- Carefully clean the skillet with a clean towel. Place back on a medium flame and heat the tortillas a minute or so on each side, or until pliable and hot.
- In each tortilla, place about 1/4 cup of black beans, one-sixth of the eggplant/red pepper mix, and one-sixth of the Pico de Gallo cabbage mixture.
- Serve warm.