Tender, but still a bit chewy, this rustic barley dish is a meal in itself. It will feed 6 people a nutritious dinner for a couple of dollars.
- 1/4 c margarine or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 c carrots, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 c medium pearl barley
- 1/2 c salted roasted peanuts
- 3 3/4 c warm water
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian beef flavored broth and seasoning (such as McKay’s)
- 1/4 c minced fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots, barley and nuts until barley is lightly browned (a few minutes).
- Mix warm water and broth mix together, Add parsley and stir the broth mixture into the barley mixture.
- Bake uncovered 60-65 minutes, or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.