Here are some versatile mushroom burgers that can be served with teriyaki sauce, barbecue sauce, brown gravy or on buns with ketchup and mustard. Baked, not fried!
Makes 8 large burgers.
- 1 c TVP (textured soy protein) granules
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c parsley, finely chopped
- 4 c finely chopped mushrooms (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme or sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Stir together the TVP, boiling water, and Worcestershire sauce. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil a large baking sheet with the tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a large bowl, blend together the TVP mixture, parsley, mushrooms, flour, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Knead for about a minute until the mixture adheres together.
- Divide mixture into 8 and form each portion into a large burger shape. Place on the oiled baking sheet, evenly spaced apart.
- Bake 15 minutes. Flip each burger over, and bake another 15 minutes. Serve on buns or as a main entree with potatoes or rice.