Light and low in calories, and with a very fresh flavor, you will love this stewed vegetable dish! Serve as a first course in small bowls, or as a main vegan entree with warm tortillas.
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini (or other summer squash)
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1-14 oz can petite cut diced tomatoes w/chipotle chilies
- 1/2 c water
- Chop unpeeled eggplant and zucchini into small bite-sized pieces. Coarsely chop seeded bell pepper and onion.
- In a heavy medium-sized pot, heat the oil and add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and oregano. Stir and cook another minute.
- Add petite cut tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve hot.