This lentil loaf makes a great holiday entree when served with potatoes and sour cream sauce. It is also great for an everyday meal when served with French fried potatoes and ketchup.
Makes one large loaf and 3 cups of sauce.
- 1 1/4 c brown lentils
- 1/4 c brown rice
- 3 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, lima beans, green beans and carrots)
- 2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 c parsley, minced
- 1/4 c celery, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry marjoram
- 1/4 c rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp season salt
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/3 c dry mashed potato flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c half ‘n half
Sour Cream Sauce*:
- 4 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 c water
- 4 packets G. Washington’s Rich Brown Seasoning and Broth Mix
- 1/2 tsp dehydrated minced parsley
- 2/3 c sour cream
- Rinse and sort the lentils. Put the in a small pot with the water, salt and rinsed rice; Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat to the lowest setting, cover and simmer 40-45 minutes. Drain well, coarsely mash with a potato ricer, and set aside to cool.
- Put the mixed vegetables, water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Coarsely mash the vegetables with a potato ricer and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter a large loaf pan (9x 5 x 3 inches). Insert a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper in the bottom of the loaf pan, cut to size. Butter the paper as well.
- In a large skillet over low heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions for about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley and celery and saute another minute. Stir in the marjoram, oats, salt, paprika, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and potato flakes. Stir in the mashed vegetable and the lentil/rice mixture. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the half ‘n half. Add to the skillet mixture and blend well. Pour all into the prepared loaf pan and bake 50 minutes. Cool slightly before loosening sides with a knife and inverting the loaf onto a platter. Cool 5 minutes before carefully removing the parchment paper. Serve with the sauce below:
- *For the sauce, melt margarine in a small saucepan. Add flour. Cook over medium heat, and stir as mixture bubbles for 2 minutes. Add water, seasoning mix and parsley. Bring mixture to boil. Stir while boiling for 2 minutes Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Heat just to simmering and serve. Do not allow to boil.