With textured vegetable protein or soy protein chunks, you will find this an easy and tasty stew for a family meal. Serve with flat bread and fruit.
- 1 1/2 c textured soy protein chunks (TVP or TSP)
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp beef style vegetarian broth mix
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 c water
- 1 c frozen green beans
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the soy protein, boiling water, Worcestershire, broth mix, oregano and rosemary. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil and saute the bell pepper, celery, carrot and onion for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes and water; stir well. Add TVP mixture with broth, green beans, potatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and partially cover. Simmer 40 minutes. Serve hot.