Here is the eggplant recipe I’ve been promising. Similar in style to my Yellow Squash Roll-Ups recipe, but with an entirely different flavor, this is an easy dish to make for company or family.
- 2 medium globe eggplants
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (divided use)
- 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 c tomato/marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove stem and bottom of eggplants. Peel two long sides of the eggplants. Slice the eggplants lengthwise, beginning at one of the peeled sides, making slices of about 1/4 inch thick. (Any slices that are too short may be saved for another use. Try to get 6 good slices from each of the eggplants.)
- Coat baking sheet(s) with olive oil. Turn the eggplant slices in the oil to coat thoroughly on top and bottom. Lay the slices in a single layer.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/8 tsp of the salt. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake eggplant for about 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley, egg, 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, and the pepper. Mix well.
- In an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan, place a thin layer of tomato/marinara sauce.
- Working on a flat surface, lay one eggplant slice flat. Place a rounded tablespoon of filling at one end. From the filling end, roll up in a spiral. Place, seam-side down in the prepared baking pan. Repeat until all roll-ups are done.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the roll-ups and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. (At this point the dish may be refrigerated until ready to cook, or may be cooked directly.)
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.