Meatless Select Vegetarian Taco Filling makes this recipe easy. If you do not have the Meatless Select brand, you can substitute any vegetarian taco filling including my Soy Taco Filling.
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 c refried beans
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c chopped onions
- 1/4 c chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-5 oz can Meatless Select taco filling (2/3 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced (or dry cilantro leaves)
- Roast the jalapenos over a gas flame or under a hot broiler (for about 10 minutes), turning until charred on all sides. Cool 10 minutes, peel (if desired) and remove membranes and seeds.
- Mince the jalapenos and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Place 4 of the tortillas in the bottom of the dish, overlapping as needed.
- Add the refried beans in an even layer, followed by half of the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, and taco filling. Spread this mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Cover with remaining tortillas. Press down.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the casserole and sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs have set up and the top is golden brown. Serve hot with sour cream and salsa.