This pot pie is true comfort food that the whole family will enjoy. It has a wide array of veggies that blend well together and when served with fruit or salad, it makes an economical meatless meal.
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 4-5 Tbsp ice water
- 1 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 2 c eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut in 1/3 inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in 1/3 inch cubes
- 1 c frozen standard peas
- 3 Tbsp margarine or butter (divided use)
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry tarragon
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c dairy or vegan milk
- 1/3 c fresh parsley, minced (or 1 Tbsp dry)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- To make the crust: Blend together the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the shortening and margarine with a pastry cutter or fork until the size of small peas. Stir in the ice water one tablespoon at a time until the pastry just comes together. Roll out on floured wax paper until it is 1/2 inch larger than the baking dish you are using (8 x 8 x 2 or similar). Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, place the vegetable broth, eggplant, potatoes, and carrot. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the peas. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish (or comparable dish). In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Saute the onion, red pepper, and celery for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tarragon and saute another minute. Add the flour and, using a whisk, blend until no dry flour appears. Reduce heat to medium low and whisk in the milk. Continue to whisk until thickened and bubbling. Drain the eggplant mixture and add to the skillet. Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the skillet mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with the pastry. Dot with the remaining tablespoon of margarine. Trim any excess pastry, leaving enough to fold under at the edges of the dish. Press gently to sides of dish and cut slits in the top. Place on a baking sheet and bake 35-40 minutes, or until filling is bubbling through slits and crust is golden brown.