Here is an Hungarian inspired recipe that makes good use of a jar of roasted sweet peppers. *If your peppers are packed in oil, reserve that good oil and refrigerate it for up to a week for use in salads, soups and casseroles. Peppers packed in water may be simply rinsed and drained for this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in large chunks (leave peel on)
- 1/2 green pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 1-12 oz jar fire roasted red peppers, cut in large chunks (*see note above)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 c diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 c chicken style vegetarian broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a Dutch oven or oven-proof large skillet, heat the oil and saute the onions for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sage and saute another minute.
- Stir in the eggplant and green pepper; allow to brown for a couple of minutes, turn, and brown on the other side.
- Rinse and drain the bottled red pepper (*see note at top); add to pot. Stir in the paprika, tomatoes, parsley, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer, blending well.
- Carefully place the simmering pot/pan in oven and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes. Serve hot with a good crusty bread or over buttered egg noodles.