This stew has an exotic flare, with lovely cinnamon and rosemary flavors. The okra and eggplant develop a similar succulent texture, without becoming sticky, because of the tomato sauce in the broth.
- 1 c TVP nuggets or soy curls (textured vegetable/soy protein)
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 c vegetarian beef style broth
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dry mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-14 oz bag frozen okra
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (or 1 Tbsp dry parsley)
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp dry rosemary)
- Soak TVP in hot water 10 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Wash and cut the unpeeled eggplant into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium. Add eggplant and onion; saute 5 minutes. Transfer to 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Combine the broth with the garlic, tomato sauce, vinegar, honey, mint, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt and cayenne; stir this liquid into the crockpot mixture.
- Add carrots, okra, parsley, and rosemary; stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until carrots are tender. Place on low or warm setting until served.