I have been trying to save fuel by using an electric toaster oven, rather than a large gas oven, for small items. Here is a delectable biscuit made in a toaster oven!
Makes 6 large biscuits.
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c margarine or butter
- 1 c dry cranberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 1/4 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a fork, pastry cutter, or fingertips, cut margarine into the flour mixture until it is distributed throughout the flour in small bits. Mix in cranberries.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk egg, milk, orange zest, orange juice, and orange extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Gently combine until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and pat into a square roughly 3/4 inch thick. Cut 2 or 3 biscuits out with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or cup rim. Pat scraps together and repeat until you have 6 biscuits.
- Line the baking sheet that comes with the toaster oven with tin foil and place all 6 biscuits closely together on the sheet. Brush them with the beaten egg wash. Place them in the toaster oven and loosely place another sheet of foil over them to prevent over-browning.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 25 minutes, remove foil carefully and bake another 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and firm throughout. Cool on a rack.