This dish has a Polynesian flavor, and is easy to make. Nothing is wasted in this dish. The Terkettes’ broth and the full marinade is transformed into a lovely sauce. Its seasonings are mild; this lets the delicate taste of the coconut milk shine through.
- 1-20 oz. can Terkettes with broth
- 1 c orange juice
- 1 c canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 c unsweetened dry shredded coconut
- 2 spring onions (green onions), finely sliced
- In a large bowl or refrigerator container, combine Terkettes, Terkettes broth, orange juice, coconut milk, ginger, curry powder and coriander. Mix well, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Strain the marinade liquid from the Terkettes, pouring it into a medium sauce pan. Heat a large skillet on medium and melt the margarine. Brown the drained Terkettes on all sides. Place them in a serving bowl.
- Put 1/4 c of the marinade liquid in a small bowl and stir in the cornstarch until it makes a smooth slurry. Heat the remainder of the marinade in the medium sauce pan until hot. Add the slurry and whisk until it thickens and is smooth. Add honey and coconut. Stir well. Pour this sauce over the Terkettes and sprinkle with spring onions and additional coconut if desired. This dish is good served on a bed of steamed rice.