These burritos are very meaty and are made with a product put out by the Sanitarium brand, called Tender Pieces. Pimientos can be purchased whole in cans and then chopped for this dish, or fresh red bell pepper may be sauteed with the onion and softened in substitution for the pimientos. Add a tablespoon or two of extra water to the potato mix if using red bell pepper.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- 1/3 c water
- 1 1/2 c finely diced russet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c chopped pimiento
- 1/2- 415 gram can Sanitarium brand Tender Pieces, including gravy
- 4 large flour tortillas, heated and softened
- 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese or vegan cheddar
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute it until golden; set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the water and remainder of the olive oil.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder and salt and continue to simmer until nearly dry.
- Add the pimiento and Tender Pieces. Stir and break up Tender Pieces with a spatula.
- Cover and simmer 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the onions.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into hot tortillas.
- Add cheese and roll up.
- Serve with hot sauce or salsa.