- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c water
- 20 oz can Terkettes, drained or 2 c Terkettes-Style seitan
- oil for deep frying
- tartar sauce*
- 1/3 c mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, Old Bay, and pepper until well blended.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water and add this liquid slowly to the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth.
- Set in refrigerator for 15 minutes or so.
- In a deep fryer or a wok over medium high, heat the oil to about 365 degrees or until a one-inch square of bread dropped into the oil takes 60 seconds to brown.
- Batter dip the Terkettes and fry them in two or three batches until each piece is golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack briefly.
- Serve hot with tartar sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and minced onion.
- Stir in Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.