This pudding has a wonderful nutty flavor and is creamy and delicious. It is an economical and nutritious dessert for the whole family.
Makes 8 half- cup servings.
- 1/4 c small pearl tapioca
- 1/2 c water
- 2 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c tahini (sesame butter)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (black or brown)
- In a 2 quart or larger saucepan, soak the pearl tapioca in water for 30 minutes, stirring a few times to be sure the tapioca does not clump together.
- Add the milk, salt, tahini, and lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Over medium heat, bring this tapioca mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- Turn heat as low as possible and simmer this mixture uncovered for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- This step is complete when the tapioca pudding has thickened and the pearl tapioca is transparent and stops sinking to the bottom. Remove from flame.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the sugar until creamy and light.
- Temper the beaten whites with two or three spoons of the hot tapioca mixture. Then fold the tempered egg white mixture into the tapioca until well-incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla and allow to cool.
- Serve warm or chilled* with sesame seeds on top.
Note: If you refrigerate pudding, and it becomes too thick, whisk in a bit more milk (while still cold) until you have the consistency you desire.