This vegan pudding has the combination of creamy and crunchy, as well as both sweet and tart flavor components.
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1/3 c small pearl tapioca
- 1-13.5 can coconut milk
- 2/3 c soy milk
- 1/2 c raw sugar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Cut pomegranate in half and scoop the seeds and juice into a bowl. Pick out any membranes. Put about 10 seeds aside for garnish. Place the remainder of the seeds and juice in a blender.
- Pulse and process a few minutes. At this point you may strain the pomegranate puree if a smoother pudding is desired by pressing it through a sieve. If you wish to have a bit of crunch in the pudding, leave the solids in. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tapioca, coconut milk, soy milk, sugar and salt. Over medium low heat, bring the tapioca mixture to simmering. Reduce heat to low and, stirring often, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate puree and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the food coloring if desired. Cool completely.
- Spoon into pudding bowls and chill. To serve, dollop with whipped topping and a few pomegranate seeds.