Pears and yams go very well together, especially flavored with mace and cinnamon. In this dish, there is plenty of buttery sauce to make this combo extra special.
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large yam, peeled
- 1-29 oz can Bartlett pear halves, reserving syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Scatter the mixture in the bottom of an 11″ x 7″ x 2″ baking dish.
- Slice the yam 1/3 inch thick. If the slices are too wide, cut them in half. Evenly layer the yam on top of the brown sugar mixture. Drain the pear halves, reserving syrup, and arrange them on top of the yams. Sprinkle the mace and sea salt evenly over the dish. Mix the corn starch in the reserved pear syrup, whisking until smooth. Pour this liquid over the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered 40 minutes or until the yams are tender. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve in bowls. Pour plenty of the syrup on top.