This is a good recipe to use when peaches are in season and their most flavorful. An easy way to peel the peaches is to dip them in boiling water for a minute or two. The skins will come right off. If your peaches are on the hard side, just precook the fruit mixture on your stove-top for about 15 minutes before assembling the cobbler and baking.
- 3 pounds ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 c sugar
- dash salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 Tbsp melted margarine or butter
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1/2 cup baking mix
- 2 T sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blend the sliced peaches with , salt, nutmeg, cornstarch and lemon juice. Place in the bottom of an ungreased 11 x 7 x 2 ” baking dish.
- Mix melted butter, buttermilk and egg. In a large bowl blend the baking mix and sugar. Pour in the wet ingredients, mixing as little as possible, leaving some lumps. The batter will be thin as pancake batter. Pout the batter over peaches and smooth over.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn down oven to 350 and bake another 30 minutes or until brown and filling bubbles at sides. Allow to cool an hour. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.