Not too sweet, and full of fiber and protein, these vegan cookies are a healthy dessert or snack.
Makes about 18 large cookies.
- 1/2 c vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c real maple syrup
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 chia seed egg **
- 1 Tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp pure maple extract
- 3/4 whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 c chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, maple syrup, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add chia seed egg, soy milk, and maple extract; blend well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the oats and nuts until evenly distributed.
- Make about 18 golf ball sized dough balls, rolling them in your palms. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet(s), spacing them at least an inch apart.
- Press cookies down slightly until they are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until set up and golden brown. Move to a cooling rack.
**To make chia seed egg, place 1 Tbsp chia seeds and 3 Tbsp water in a food chopper or blender. Process one minute. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, or until gelatinous.