The besan (chickpea or gram flour) tastes wonderful in this old-fashioned recipe, and has a caramel-like flavor when mixed with brown sugar and butter.
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2/3 c chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 c chickpea flour
- 1/2 c finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp firm butter or margarine
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously butter a 9-inch pie baking dish. Dust with chickpea flour.
- Peel apples, core, and slice very thinly or about 1/8 inch thick.
- In medium bowl, mix apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg; place in pie dish.
- In same medium bowl, whisk egg until lightly beaten. Add the remaining batter ingredients and blend well. Pour evenly over apple mixture.
- In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients with a fork until crumbly; sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet to catch drips. Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbly around edges. Allow to cool 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.