There is no added sweetness in this dish, just the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and coconut. Balancing these tastes is the heat from jalapeno peppers and the savoriness of cilantro and sage. Very nice side dish!
Makes 10 medium cakes.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut flour
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sage powder
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes (or coconut flour)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Oil or spray the parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in chunks and pulse them in a food processor until very finely minced, but not completely pureed. (They may also be finely shredded on a box grater.) Place them in a large bowl.
- Add onion, jalapeno, cilantro,coconut flour, all purpose flour, egg, salt, and sage. Form the mixture into 10 cakes. (Cakes will be moist.)
- Place cakes on prepared baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, remove briefly, and turn cakes over. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cakes with the coconut flakes and serve hot or cold. (May be served with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.)