This is a healthier cake than the traditional white flour/sugar version. It is lower in cholesterol and calories, yet it is still a lovely cake, with the texture of a pound cake. Keeps well due to the honey!
- 4 egg whites (1 c of “Egg Beaters”)
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c non-fat milk
- 2 c fresh blueberries
2 c whole wheat flour
- Grease and flour an 8-inch or 9-inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat the olive oil, honey, and vanilla for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and set aside. Whisk the remaining flour, baking powder and salt well.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the honey mixture, beating well after each addition and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- To the blueberries, add the 2 tablespoons of flour that were set aside; coat the blueberries well with flour. Gently fold the berries into the batter.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tube pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until well browned, and a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes. Use a knife to loosen center and sides. Turn out on rack and cool completely before placing on cake stand or platter. Store at room temperature and serve with extra blueberries on the side. (Cake is even better the second day!)