If you have not tried Worthington Vegetarian products, here is a good one to start with. It tastes like diced chicken and is so easy to work with. I save the packing broth for another recipe. It has a lot of good flavor.
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c vegetarian chicken style broth
- 2 c cooked rice
- 1-13 oz can Worthington Diced Chik, drained
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the chopped spinach according to package directions. Drain completely, pressing the spinach in a fine sieve (or cooling and then squeezing with hands). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter an 8 inch cake layer dish or similar.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium low heat and add the celery and onion. Saute until translucent, or about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour until evenly coating the vegetables.
- Pour in the vegetarian broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue simmering one minute to get rid of the flour taste. Remove from burner and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, Diced Chik, spinach, sauteed celery mixture, sour cream, and all but 1/4 cup of the cheese. Blend well. Transfer to the prepared dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes. Serve hot with a crisp salad.