Here is a vegan lasagna that is loaded with flavor and protein. I used Mid-East Cracked and Spicy Green Olives in my lasagna and they imparted a nice burst of flavor, but you may use your favorite olives in this dish.
- 2/3 c dry mushroom pieces
- 2 c vegan chicken style broth
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2/3 c minced finely chopped onion
- 1-8 oz can mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 c soy curls or TVP bits
- 1 1/2 c warm water water
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 c tomato pasta sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 c pitted and chopped olives
- 9 lasagna noodles, wheat or white (6-8oz)
- 1 c fresh bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- dash salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir the dry mushrooms, chicken style broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Cool and then place in blender. Puree and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and butter. Saute onions 2 minutes.
- Drain canned mushrooms, reserving liquid. Add canned mushrooms to the onions and continue to saute another 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, flour, salt, and pepper; blend well. Pour in the pureed mushrooms and reserved canned mushroom liquid. Stir until simmering and thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Soak soy curls in the warm water for 10 minutes. Squeeze dry, discarding water.
- Place in large bowl and add Italian seasoning, tomato pasta sauce, green pepper, and olives. Set aside.
Other Ingredients and Assembly:
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions (or use oven-ready noodles).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Ladle half of the Red Sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place three noodles side by side on top.
- Evenly layer on add half of the Mushroom Sauce.
- Place three more lasagna noodles on top and the remaining Mushroom Sauce.
- Add the remaining noodles and cover with the remaining Red Sauce.
- In a small bowl, blend bread crumbs, olive oil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the lasagna.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot with a green salad.