- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 c frozen broccoli cuts
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 c onion, mince
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, roasted, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 c milk or soy milk
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese, packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c rice, cooked
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a two quart casserole dish or pie/cake pan.
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and stir in the broccoli cuts.
- Cook 2 minutes and drain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic and pepper for a minute or two.
- Add the chili powder and flour; stir until incorporated.
- Add the milk and stir until thick and smooth.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat the add the broccoli, salt and rice.
- Blend well and spoon into the prepared dish.
- Combine the melted butter with the panko breadcrumbs and evenly distribute over the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden.