For a chewy snack that is loaded with protein and flavor, try our recipe for tofu jerky. Low in calories and sodium, your family will enjoy this special treat.
Makes 48 pieces of jerky.
- 3 cartons extra firm tofu (12-16 oz)
- 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c water
- Rinse the blocks of tofu, and dry thoroughly with clean toweling. Cut each block in 16 thin strips. Lay them side by side on a large baking pan or baking sheet with a lip.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the soy sauce, minced garlic, onion powder, granulated garlic, cayenne, black pepper and water. Pour this mixture evenly over the tofu and refrigerate for one hour. Flip the tofu over and refrigerate another hour.
- Place the marinated tofu strips on dehydrator racks, and dehydrate them at 135 degrees F for 6-12 hours, or until they have a chewy, leathery consistency. Cool and place in canning jars or other tightly sealed containers. This jerky will last a month on your pantry shelf or several months in the refrigerator.