You do not need special pickling cucumbers to make this treat. I used 6 large slicing cucumbers and they were great. Use them on sandwiches or with veggie burgers!
Makes about 5 pints.
- 3.5 LB cucumbers
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 Tbsp course salt
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 1 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp alum or substitute*
- Wash cucumbers well and slice in 1/4 inch circles. Place them in a large pot with a half-gallon cold water and the 4 tablespoon salt. Allow to stand 3 hours.
- Add a tray or two of ice and allow to chill another hour.
- Strain cucumbers and set aside.
- In the same large pot, place the brown sugar, half-cup water, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, and alum. Bring to boil on high heat.
- Add cucumbers and onions. Bring back to boil, stirring and submerging vegetables with the back of your spoon. Boil 4 minutes.
- Put in jars that have been sterilized.**
- Wipe rims with a clean towel and secure lids and rings. Check after a few hours to see if seal is tight. Refrigerate after opening.
*Substitutes: Pickling Spice,Calcium Chloride Food Grade, Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Powder, Cream Of Tartar, Arrowroot Powder or Citric Acid.
**To sterilize bottles, preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Place washed and dried bottles, lids, and rings on a large baking sheet. Allow to heat in oven for 10 minutes.