Peanut butter and bananas are a long-time favorite combination, and with the defatted peanut flours available today, waffles can take on this wonderful flavor.
Makes 4 medium waffles.
- 1/2 c peanut flour
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp melted butter (divided use)
- Into a medium bowl, sift the peanut flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Blend well.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork until pureed. Add egg; lightly beat to incorporate. Stir in the buttermilk, water and one tablespoon of the melted butter; blend well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and blend just until no dry ingredients appear and the batter looks thick and creamy.
- Heat the waffle iron on medium, until well heated throughout. Brush melted butter on the iron and place 1/2 cup of batter in the center (for each medium waffle). Close the waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron directions. If using a cast iron stove-top waffle iron, cook each side about 50 seconds. Serve hot with sliced bananas and honey butter.