These pones are so easy and inexpensive to make. They are great for breakfast and make a nice tea time snack. Try some local honey from your nearby Farmer’s Market with these salty, crunchy corn pones.
Makes about 12 small pones.
- 1 c yellow corn meal
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 3/4 c boiling water
- honey and butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, blend corn meal and salt well.
- Melt shortening in small skillet.
- Heat water to boiling point and pour immediately over corn meal and salt.
- Add melted shortening; stir to blend well.
- As soon as mixture has cooled enough to handle, pinch off about 2 tablespoons of the dough and shape it into an oval pone about 2 inches long by rolling between the hands.
- Place on a small, ungreased baking sheet or pan. Continue until all the dough has been rolled, placing the pones close together, but not touching.
- Press each lightly with the flat tines of a fork to score.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with plenty of butter and honey.