These little Cheesy Toast Cups are good for a party or make a delicious breakfast or luncheon treat.
- 1/2 c Plain TVP bits (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 Tbsp dry tarragon
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 stick butter or margarine (divided use), melted
- 1 1/2 c onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese (divided use), grated
- 1 1/2 c reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 c canned sweet peas, drained
- 1/2 c green Greek olives, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 12 slices soft wheat bread (such as Roman Meal)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 2 quart bowl, mix the TVP with tarragon, parsley, cayenne and boiling water.
- Allow to stand and soften for about 10 minutes.
- Melt one tablespoon of the butter over medium low in a skillet and add the onion.
- Saute for about 3 minutes, or until transparent but not brown.
- Add the onions to the TVP mixture.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, the cheddar cheese, peas, olives and beaten eggs.
- Fold all together.
- Brush the bread slices lightly with the remaining butter on both sides.
- Push the bread slices gently down into muffin cups.
- Fill each cup with about a half-cup of the pea mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until brown and firm on the bottoms. Serve hot.