Makes 6 medium scones.
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 c dry whole cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening and honey together with a wooden spoon. Add egg and combine.
- Beat in the yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine. Do not over-mix.
- Gently fold the cherries into the dough, reserving a few for the tops of the scones.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Flour the top of the dough and pat into an 8 x 8 disc. Cut the disc into 6 wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to the parchment lined baking sheet, leaving a little space between each scone, so they will crisp up on all sides.
- Place a cherry or two on each scone. Bake 30 minutes, or until browned and crisp on the tops and bottoms. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with plenty of butter.