Almond milk is delicious, but we favor this walnut milk, which is easy to make, and inexpensive. Best of all, you do not have to run to the store when you need milk. If you choose to strain your milk, be sure to save the pulp for use in baking.
Makes 1 quart of milk.
- 1 c raw, unsalted walnuts (whole or pieces)
- 3 c good water for soaking, plus 4 c for milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Soak walnuts 4 hours in the 3 cups of water.
- Drain walnuts and place them in blender with a fresh 4 cups of fresh water. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Strain milk through cheesecloth if desired (this is not necessary) and add honey and salt.
- Put back in blender and pulse to blend. Refrigerate until served.