This quick and easy dish has been a staple in our house for many years. It pleases everyone with its lovely tomato base.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
- 1 (10 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp crushed oregano
- 1 (20 oz) can cranberry beans (also called Roman or Borlotti beans)
- In a medium, heavy pot over low heat, warm the olive oil. Add onions, and sauté 8 minutes, or until golden and translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, salt and oregano. Simmer uncovered on low heat 20-30 minutes, stirring often and adding a bit more water as needed.
- Rinse and drain beans; add to pot. Stir and bring back to simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve hot over rice or pasta.