Serve these tempting sushi rolls with wasabi sauce, sweet chili sauce, or just “as is”. They make a great appetizer, lunch or even dinner! (Be sure to use our recipe for Pickled Radishes in making them.)
Makes about 20 pieces.
- 1 c Calrose Shirakiku rice
- 1 c water
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mirin rice wine
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- dash black pepper
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- 6-8 Pickled Radishes
- 6-8 green onions (green tops only)
- 3 full sheets of nori seaweed
- Rinse rice in a fine strainer for about a minute. Allow to stand and drain in strainer 10 minutes to soften.
- In a 2-quart pot, mix rice and water. Bring to boil on medium heat. Stir, reduce heat to lowest setting, and cover tightly.
- Simmer 15 minutes, remove from burner and allow to cool 15 minutes without lifting lid.
- In small bowl, mix together vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt until dissolved. Add to rice and blend until distributed evenly through rice. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch omelet pan on medium heat, warm the sesame oil and coat the entire bottom of the pan.
- Beat eggs lightly with soy sauce and pepper.
- Add egg mixture to pan, and cook a minute or two on each side, or until lightly browned and firm. Remove to large dish and cool slightly.
- Cut egg into half-inch long strips.
- Cut cucumber, radish and green onion tops into long, thin (1/4 inch) strips.
- Lay out nori on bamboo mat or any clean surface. Spread one-third of the rice evenly on the nori. Add strips of cucumber, radish, green onions and eggs to the center. Roll firmly, but gently.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Using a very sharp chef’s knife, slice each roll into 6-7 sushi pieces and arrange on platter. Serve warm or chilled.