Szechwan TempehThis is a tasty way to serve tempeh. It is a vegetarian high protein dish that is great served on a bed of brown rice.
- 8 oz tempeh
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce (divided use)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 dry Japanese chili peppers
- 1 inch ginger root, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, slices
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp crushed Szechwan peppercorns
- Cut the tempeh into half and then cut each half into 4 triangles.
- Marinate the tempeh in a mixture of the rice wine, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and the salt for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white. Add the arrowroot and mix well. Coat all the marinated tempeh pieces in the arrowroot mixture on all sides.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil on a medium setting. Brown the tempeh in the hot oil for a minute on each side. Remove to a holding bowl.
- Remove all the oil from the skillet except for one tablespoon. Add the Japanese chili peppers, ginger and garlic and saute briefly.
- Add these ingredients to the tempeh, along with the green onions, remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds and crushed Szechwan peppercorns. Stir well. Serve hot over warm rice.