Jamaican Brown Stew
This vegetarian dish is hearty and comforting. Serve as is with crusty bread, or spoon it over rice. Delicious!
- 3/4 c beef-flavored TVP chunks (textured vegetable protein)
- 4 c hot water (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger root, minced
- 3 c cubed root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, winter squash, etc.)
- 1 c lima beans, pinto beans or peas
- 1 c bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp allspice (pimiento seed)
- 2/3 c coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 (.87 oz) packet brown gravy mix
- Place the TVP in a medium bowl and add 2 cups of the hot water. Allow to soak 20 minutes.
- Drain in a strainer. Rinse well. Squeeze the liquid from the TVP and set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the TVP, onion, and celery. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger; saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the remaining 2 cups of hot water; stir, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add root veggies, lima beans, bell peppers, seasoning salt, pepper, vinegar, soy sauce and allspice. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and cover. Simmer 10 minutes, or until root veggies are fork tender but not mushy.
- Stir in the coconut milk and brown gravy mix. Stir and bring back to simmering. Simmer another minute.
- Serve hot in bowls with minced parsley or sliced green onions for garnish. May also be served over rice.