Baked Veg Sausage Patties
I have several sausage patty recipes on this site, but this one is baked, and is easy to shape in a patty press. I like to make a double batch, so I can freeze a number of them and heat them up quickly for breakfast.
Makes 7-8 medium sausage patties.
- 1 c textured soy protein granules
- 1/2 c hot water
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 c instant potato flakes (potato buds)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and generously oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the textured soy protein, hot water, and vegetable oil. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk until slightly frothy. Add them to the textured soy protein mixture. Stir in the soy sauce.
- Blend the remaining ingredients and add them to the mixture. Blend well.
- Use a 2.5 inch patty press to form (7-8) quarter-cup patties, or form them with your hands.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove and flip them over. Put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides..
- Serve hot right away, or cool and freeze. To reheat, fry them in a little oil, turning them frequently until hot inside and crispy on the outside.