Kidney Bean Chili
Perfect for a cool Autumn day, this chili may be served vegan style, with sliced green onions and a dollop of vegan sour cream on top, or as a hearty vegetarian dish with shredded cheddar cheese. It also makes a great "Chili Mac". Simply mix cooked macaroni into the chili just before serving.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil or similar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 4 c water (may use some bean liquid)
- 2 c kidney beans, freshly cooked or canned
- 1/2 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the canola oil over a medium flame. Saute the onion and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, water, kidney beans, parsley, chili powder, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Stir again, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with a crusty loaf of bread or a pan of corn bread.