Cream of Split Pea Soup
Rich and creamy, this soup has a lovely minty flavor. It makes a great vegetarian lunch when paired with homemade bread or rolls.
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green chili pepper, minced
- 6 c vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced (or 2 tsp dry)
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced (or 2 tsp dry)
- 1 1/2 c dry split peas, sorted, rinsed
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add carrots, celery and onion. Saute 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and chili pepper. Saute another minute.
- Pour in the broth. Add bay leaf, mint, dill, and split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 90 minutes, or until split peas are very tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream and salt. Serve hot or warm.