Barley Lima Bean SoupSoothing and substantial, this soup will make a fine main course for a week night meal.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium potato, peeled, diced
- 1 Tbsp capers, minced
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-16 oz bag frozen lima beans
- 2 Tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c quick barley
- 6 c vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- In a large heavy Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil on medium.
- Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, capers, Italian herbs, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lima beans, parsley, barley, broth, and salt if needed. Bring to boiling over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer another 30 minutes, adding water as needed. Serve hot with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.