Vegetarian Rice RingShort grain rice works much better than the long grain varieties in this rice ring, because it sticks together a bit and helps hold its shape. This is a fantastic dish for a holiday meal.
- 1 c short grain (calrose) rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 c frozen peas and carrot blend
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 2 tsp margarine or butter
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c cooked soybeans (or navy beans), drained
- 1/2 c crushed or finely chopped canned pineapple, drained
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Combine rice, salt and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Place peas and carrot blend in a small skillet with the boiling water. Simmer 3-4 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and set peas/carrots aside in a large bowl.
- Melt margarine in the same small skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and bell pepper; saute about 2 minutes.
- Add rice to the bowl of peas/carrots. Stir in the sauteed red peppers and onions, soy beans, pineapple, soy sauce, and ginger, stirring until well blended.
- Using margarine, fully butter a 6 cup ring mold. Pack hot rice mixture into mold, using the back of a spoon to lightly smooth and compress the mixture. Invert directly onto a serving plate. Fill center with raw kale or any garnish of your choice and serve hot.