Green Tomato RiceI picked the last green tomatoes of the season yesterday, and this is one of the easiest, most delicious uses for them.
- 3 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro
- 2 c water
- 1 c long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp dry mint
- Chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and cilantro roughly and place in a blender with the water. Process until the mixture is pureed. Pour in 2 quart or larger pot.
- Stir in rice, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, celery seed, and mint. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover tightly, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from burner, fluff with fork and serve garnished with slices of fried green tomatoes and/or cilantro leaves.