Barley PilafWhen I have company, I like to have at least one dish that does not require constant watching on the stove top. Here is a refreshing change from rice and potatoes, and it is made in the oven.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 c pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 Tbsp white miso
- 1 tsp hot Hungarian paprika (or plain paprika with dash of cayenne)
- 1/3 c chopped raw almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, melt the butter in the olive oil. Saute the onion, mushrooms, celery, and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes. Transfer sauteed vegetables to a 2 quart covered casserole dish.
- In the same skillet, toast the barley, stirring constantly for 30 seconds or so. Add to casserole.
- Stir in water, cilantro, miso, and paprika. Cover and bake one hour. Stir in the almonds and mix everything well. Serve hot.